A big trend this fall and especially into this spring is the"lingerie inspired"look. I personally had not delved into it at the risk of looking...well, riskay. But done right, it can look sophisticated, elegant and beautiful. Done wrong it can look tacky, cheap and like you forgot to put a shirt on. Yet, it has proven to be a hit all over the runways, bringing back the 30's pin up girl look.
(Hint: also amazing in swimwear this summer!)
Courtesy of Elle.com
I had been keeping my eyes open on the vintage racks to literally, get the 30s look (Yes, I would wash it first!) And I actually had some luck just last weekend in Kensington Market.
For a mere $10, I picked up a lovely vintage bustier, simple and conservative enough to be worn out, but pretty enough to feel amazing.
With a blazer, and a high waist, full skirt, I truly felt like I had gone back in time. I wish I had a picture of the studded rocker boots I wore to bring it up to our era! While still obsessing with how much fun it was to wear this, I did my usual browse of some designers and websites and here are a few of my favorites.
This look can be very hard to wear, while it can look VERY RIGHT, I have seen it VERY WRONG.
You do not want to be in the second category...
DO: simple colors, modest bust lines, and pair with a more conservative outfit- high waisted jean shorts for casual, high waisted skirt or trousers for evening, studded and a bit of lace can be fabulous...provided that it is Alexander McQueen...

From the left to right: asos.com studded numba, Marc Jacobs floral (net-a-porter), Alexander McQueen yellow-crazy beautifulness, and Alexander McQueen IDEAL black bustier- and the outfit net-a-porter.com paired it with just completes me.
A few precautions that one must take when trying to wear lingerie in public.
DO NOT: bright colors mixed with lace, ties, sparkles, sequins (yes they do make them with all of the above one small piece of fabric framing your bust....what a disappointment to the trend)
I bid you good luck on your journey to fulfill this promising, yet daunting fashion mission.

I've been thinking of trying this trend with a slip dress, but I'm afraid I'm going to feel weird - like I'm in my pajamas.
ReplyDeleteThe bustier looks great - it fits so well. I can never find one that fits me.
ShopTOLive.ca
I have a dress with one, its in the right catergory!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletecheck out our fashion blog, and become a follower :D
http://alittle-red-withapinchof-chocolate.blogspot.com/
Your DO NOT list is everything I love. *hides in shame* hehe
ReplyDeleteI really need to do more thrift store shopping. You cannot beat a $10 deal! Niice!
i love this trend! i've worn an actual corset out a few times. i need to get on that's not actual lingerie in order to not terrorize the innocent public anymore. haha.
ReplyDeletexo Niki
http://ahautemess.blogspot.com
I love the 'lingerie look' it's sexy and fabulous but it can also look a bit whory
ReplyDelete